Travelling is a daunting and scary experience for dogs. It’s taking them out of their comfort zone and putting them in a strange environment. Dogs are intuitive and even before the day of departure will be able to tell that something is going to happen.
If this starts to provoke anxiety, consider turning on some music. But not just any music.
According to a study published in the journal of Physiology and Behaviour, dogs prefer the sounds of reggae or soft rock more than any other music genre.
During the duration of the study, classical, soft rock, reggae, pop and Motown music were played to the dogs. While the dogs were listening, researchers took note of their heart rate, cortisol levels and behaviours that measure stress levels, like barking or lying down.
The study revealed that dogs were less stressed when listening to soft rock or reggae. This kind of music showed the highest positive changes in behaviour.
The team that conducted the study advised shelters and dog owners should play reggae and soft rock music for their canines during high-stress situations. One situation that can provoke stress and worry is travelling.
Therefore, we have created the ideal pet travel playlist to help relax and soothe your pooch in the lead up to or during their journey.
We listened to a range of reggae and soft rock and picked our favourites to create the pawfect playlist. We picked songs that will keep your furry friend relaxed and that you can sing along to. Check out our playlist below:
- The Sun Stop Shining – Cornell Campbell
- Love and Affection – Pressure
- Private Number – Bob & Marcia
- Three Little Birds – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- Let Me Down Easy – Dennis Brown
- Murder She Wrote – Chaka Demus & Pliers, Sly & Robbie
- Love Has Found Its Way – Dennis Brown
- Sit Down and Cry Over You – Errol Dunkley
- Life – Bob Andy
- Crying Over You – Ken Boothe
- Sky Larking – Horace Andy
- I’m Still in Love – Alton Ellis
- Reggae Night – Jimmy Cliff
- Is This Love – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- Red Red Wine – UB40
- Long Train Runnin’ – The Doobie Brothers
- More Than a Feeling – Boston
- Learning To Fly – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Losing My Religion – R.E.M.
- Over My Shoulder – Mike & The Mechanics
- The Way It Is – Bruce Hornsby, The Range
- I Heard It through The Grapevine – Creedence Clearwater Revival
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps – The Jeff Healy band
- A Horse with No Name – America, George Martin
- Alone – Heart
- I’m Into Something Good – Herman’s Hermits
- Walking in Memphis – Marc Cohn
- That’s All – Genesis
- Something Got me Started – Simply Red
- Waiting for a Girl Like You – Foreigner
If your dog is showing signs of anxiety and stress, we suggest encouraging them to a space where they feel comfortable and playing this playlist at a low volume to soothe them.