Transporting Pets to the UK

The transportation of dogs, cats, and ferrets to the UK is a relatively easy experience particularly if you have a EU pet passport. However, this isn’t always the case, and there are certain rules for different countries. To help you figure out what you will require to get your pet into the UK easily, take a look at our guide below.

Click here for more general guidance on pet travel to the UK

The Pet Passport/Vaccination booklet

Regardless of whether you are bringing a pet to the UK from an EU or Non-EU country, a valid EU pet passport or vaccination booklet will be required. If they do not have an EU pet passport or it is not useable as the sole documentation for travel you will require an official veterinary certificate (GB Health Certificate) and supporting documents I.E vaccination booklet.

Pet passports/vaccination booklets must include the following:

  • Your pet’s microchip number
  • Your pet’s tapeworm treatment (dogs only)
  • Your pet’s rabies vaccination, detailing;
    • Manufacturer and name of vaccine
    • Vaccination date
    • Expiry date
    • Veterinary authorisation
  • Rabies blood test (where applicable)

Please note, if any rabies vaccinations were administered outside of the EU, your vet will need to complete the GB Health Certificate or the Commercial Health Certificate, depending on your travel circumstances.

If you are unsure if you can use your EU pet passport as the sole document for travel under the pet travel scheme, let us know and we can advise if you will need a GB health certificate or commercial health certificate, for your pet’s travel.

Countries the UK Accepts Passports From

All EU countries, Andorra, Azores and Madeira, Canary Islands, French Guiana, Gibraltar, Greenland and the Faroe Islands, Guadeloupe, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Martinique, Monaco, Norway, Reunion, San Marino, Switzerland and Vatican City.

Listed Countries

Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Ascension Island, Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Bermuda, BES Islands (Bonair, Saint Eustatius and Saba), Bosnia-Herzegovina, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Curaçao, Falkland Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Montserrat, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Russian Federation, Saint Maarten, Singapore, St Helena, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Pierre and Miquelon, St Vincent and The Grenadines, Taiwan, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, USA (includes American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands), Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna.

Health Certificate

As a guide you must make sure you have the following:

  • GB or EU health certificate, it must be endorsed by a competent authority or approved military vet. You do not need this certificate if you have a up to date blue EU passport that has not had any rabies vaccinations done outside the EU and was issued before 1st January 2021.
  • Please ensure that your rabies treatment is done as per the manufacturer’s guidelines, a 3-year treatment is only valid for 3 years if a primary treatment has been given if you are unsure please send us details or ask your vet.
  • A rabies certificate or vaccine booklet showing the full name of the product, the manufacture and microchip number (no abbreviations).
  • A microchipping certificate or proof of implantation may be required.
  • Tapeworm treatment, using the correct product and within the allowed time scale.
  • All Vaccines and Treatments must comply with the DEFRA requirements.
  • If you are arriving on a commercial heath certificate form, we will need at least 48 working hours notice.

Do I Need an EORI Number?

An EORI number is required when making customs declarations when importing or exporting goods. If you are bringing any domestic pet into the UK, you will not require an EORI number. However, livestock and horses will require owners to obtain an EORI number from the customs office of the country you are leaving.